Thursday, July 06, 2006

To Pedal

It has always bothered me that the Eggbeater is considered a mountain pedal. I mean, it is light and--dare I say--svelte. They look small and spindly--kind of like a high-end road bike. I am now in the process of reviewing some Shimano 105-level (No, I don't have the code-name Shimano numbering memorized.) pedals. Paired with these are some nice Shimano shoes. (I know they're nice, because the sole is carbon and they are so very stiff. Also, I don't remember the model number and I'm too lazy to look it up.)

The shoes are very stiff. The pedals are solid. When I clip in, there is no mistaking it.

When I get on my mountain bike, I suddenly feel sorry for my Eggbeaters. I mean, they're fantastic pedals, but the engagement seems so half-hearted in comparison. I almost feel like I pity them. "Don't worry little guys, you do just fine. See, my feet are totally attached (even if I can't tell without pulling on them)."

On the other hand, I don't really think before stepping/clipping into my Eggbeaters. For my Shimanos, though I'm getting better, I generally actually have to be looking at the pedal. Also, I often miss the wonderful float with the Eggbeaters (oft-times exaggerated by a worn cleat).

I won't go further (after all, I have a review to write), but here is what I've learned:

The Eggbeaters make a great mountain pedal.
On a road bike, Road pedals are best.

No comments: